Bachelor's of Science in Microbiology, with Honors from Michigan State University (2010)
PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from Northwestern University (2017)
NIGMS MOSAIC K99/R00 award (2021-2025)
Selected as an HHMI Janelia Leading Edge Fellow (2021)
Funded by an NCI F31 Predoctoral Fellowship (2014-2017), an NIGMS F32 Postdoctoral Fellowship (2019-2021) and the Burroughs Wellcome Fund Postdoctoral Enrichment Program (2020-2022)
Awarded the Bradley M. Patten Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research (2019)
Publications in Journal of Cell Biology, Journal of Virology, mBio, Advances in Virus Research, Viruses, the International Journal of Gynecological Pathology, and PLoS Pathogens
Full CV available upon request.
Northwestern University (Chicago, IL)- Sept 2011- June 2017
PhD, Microbiology and Immunology
Driskill Graduate Program in Life Sciences
Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI)- Sept 2006- May 2010
BS, Microbiology, with Honors
Honors College, GPA- 3.81
Postdoctoral Fellowship- September 2017- 2022
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Studied the role of host motor and nuclear membrane proteins in SV40 polyomavirus disassembly and nuclear entry
Advisor- Billy Tsai, Ph.D.
Graduate Research- June 2012- August 2017
Department of Microbiology-Immunology, Northwestern University (Chicago, IL)
Investigated the role of the Fanconi Anemia pathway and DNA damage response proteins in human papillomavirus (HPV) infection
Spearheaded a retrospective clinical study in collaboration with the Department of Pathology at Northwestern University to examine the correlation between DNA repair protein levels and cervical neoplasia progression
Advisor- Laimonis Laimins, Ph.D.
Undergraduate Research- October 2008- May 2011
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI)
Characterized the mouse polyomavirus Middle T antigen as a model for breast cancer progression
Advisor- Michele Fluck, Ph.D.
7. Spriggs CC, Cha G, Li J, Tsai B. 2022. Components of the LINC and NPC complexes coordinately target and translocate a virus into the nucleus to promote infection. PLoS Pathog. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1010824.
6. Spriggs CC, Badieyan S, Verhey KJ, Cianfrocco MA, Tsai B. 2020. Golgi-associated BICD adaptors couple ER membrane penetration and disassembly of a viral cargo. J Cell Biol. doi:10.1083/jcb.201908099. PMCID: PMC7199864.
5. Spriggs CC*, Harwood MC*, Tsai B. 2019. How non-enveloped viruses hijack host machineries to cause infection. Adv Virus Res. 104:97-122. doi: 10.1016/bs.aivir.2019.05.002. PMCID: PMC6923802. (* co-first author; I wrote and helped to edit this book review chapter.)
4. Ravindran MS*, Spriggs CC*, Verhey K, Tsai B. 2018. Dynein engages and disassembles cytosol-localized SV40 to promote infection. J Virol. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00353-18. PMCID: PMC5974495. Selected as spotlight article. (* co-first author; I designed and performed experiments as well as helped to edit the manuscript.)
3. Spriggs CC, Blanco LZ, Maniar KP, Laimins LA. 2019. Expression of HPV-Induced DNA Damage Repair Factors Correlates with CIN Progression. Int J Gynecol Pathol. doi:10.1097. PMCID: PMC6295252.
2. Spriggs CC, Laimins LA. 2017. Human Papillomavirus and the DNA Damage Response: Exploiting Host Repair Pathways for Viral Replication. Viruses. doi:10.3390/v9080232. PMCID: PMC5580489.
1. Spriggs CC, Laimins LA. 2017. FANCD2 binds human papillomavirus genomes and associates with a distinct set of DNA repair proteins to regulate viral replication. mBio. doi: 10.1128/mBio.02340-16. PMCID: PMC5312087.
6. Kushner DB, Cline TD, Danthi P, Debbink KM, Ferran MC, Flenniken M, Johnson DM, Mehle A, Morales DA, Mukhopadhyay S, Parker JSL, Spriggs CC, O’Donnell LA, Maginnis MS. 2022. Curriculum Guidelines for Graduate and Undergraduate Virology Courses. J Virol. doi:10.1128/jvi.01305-22.
5. Spriggs CC, Pittman N, Scott NR, Taylor K, Kozik AJ. 2022. A talent network of Black microbiologists. Nat Microbiol. doi:10.1038/s41564-022-01085-0.
4. Termini CM, Rutaganira FUN, Palavicino-Maggio CB, Spriggs CC, Evans CS, McReynolds MR. 2021. Using virtual interviewing to create a more accessible hybrid academic job market. Cell. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2021.11.027.
3. Tsai B, Spriggs CC. 2021. Editorial Overview for the Special Section on Viral Entry. Curr Opin Virol. doi: 10.1016/j.coviro.2021.08.008.
2. Spriggs CC. 2021. mSphere of Influence: Viruses- Pathogens or Expert Cell Biologists? mSphere. doi: 10.1128/ mSphere.00241-21. PMCID: PMC8546703.
1. Taylor K, Kozik AJ, Spriggs CC, Scott N, Pittman N. 2021. Introducing the Black Microbiologists Association. Lancet Microbe. doi: 10.1016/S2666-5247(21)00038-0.
FUNDING AND AWARDS
Outstanding Alumnus Award, Charles Drew Science Scholars Program- 2022
MOSAIC K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Career Transition Award- 2021-2026
HHMI Janelia Leading Edge Fellow- 2021
Cell Mentor’s 1,000 Inspiring Black Scientists in America- 2020
Burroughs Wellcome Fund Postdoctoral Enrichment Program- 2020
Cornell Rising Stars Program- 2020
Bradley M. Patten Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research- 2019
F32 National Research Service Award (NRSA)- 2019-present
Boehringer Ingelheim Stiftung Travel Grant (GRC)- 2019
University of Michigan Postdoctoral Travel Award- 2019
Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority (CSURM) Fellowship- 2019
T32 Molecular Mechanisms of Microbial Pathogenesis- 2018
F31 National Research Service Award (NRSA)- 2014-2017
Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship Award- 2016
Driskill Graduate Program Travel Award- 2016
T32 Carcinogenesis Training Grant- 2013
T32 Immunology and Molecular Pathogenesis Training Grant- 2013 (Declined)
Duvall Award- Undergraduate Research Fellowship- 2009
LEADERSHIP AND SERVICE
Councilor for Virology Trainees, American Society for Virology- July 2021- Present
ASV Council Member representing the needs of society trainee members
Co-Organizer of the bi-annual Satellite for Virology Trainees
Black Microbiologists Association, Treasurer- August 2020- Present
Co-Founder and Founding Board Member of the Black Microbiologists Association (BMA)
Sponsorship Lead for the Black In Microbiology Week https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/28/science/black-microbiology-week.html)
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology Postdoc Representative- Sept 2019- March 2021
Coordinated social, professional, and career development activities for CDB postdoctoral fellows
Represented and petitioned for the needs of CDB postdoctoral fellows at department faculty meetings