Bachelor's of Science in Microbiology, with Honors from Michigan State University (2010)
PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from Northwestern University (2017)
NIGMS MOSAIC K99/R00 (2021-2025) and HHMI Janelia Leading Edge Fellow (2021)
Funded by an NCI F31 Predoctoral Fellowship (2014-2017), an NIGMS F32 Postdoctoral Fellowship (2019-2021) and the Burroughs Wellcome Fund Postdoctoral Enrichment Program (2020-2022)
Awarded the Bradley M. Patten Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research (2019)
Publications in Journal of Cell Biology, Journal of Virology, mBio, Advances in Virus Research, Viruses and the International Journal of Gynecological Pathology
Full CV available upon request.
Northwestern University (Chicago, IL)- Sept 2011- June 2017
PhD, Microbiology and Immunology
Driskill Graduate Program in Life Sciences
Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI)- Sept 2006- May 2010
Postdoctoral Fellowship- September 2017- Present
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
Studying the role of host motor proteins in polyomavirus entry and infection. Specifically, utilizing biochemical and molecular biology techniques to understand the role of kinesin-1 and the dynein motor complex in Simian virus 40 (SV40) entry into the nucleus.
Advisor- Billy Tsai, Ph.D.
Graduate Research- June 2012- August 2017
Department of Microbiology-Immunology, Northwestern University (Chicago, IL)
Investigated the role of the Fanconi Anemia pathway and DNA damage response proteins in human papillomavirus (HPV) infection and tumorigenesis.
Spearheaded a retrospective clinical study in collaboration with the Department of Pathology at Northwestern University to examine the correlation between DNA repair protein levels and cervical neoplasia progression.
Advisor- Laimonis Laimins, Ph.D.
Undergraduate Research- October 2008- May 2011
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI)
Worked on an independent research project characterizing the mouse polyomavirus Middle T antigen as a model for breast cancer progression.
Advisor- Michele Fluck, Ph.D.
6. Spriggs CC, Badieyan S, Verhey KJ, Cianfrocco MA, Tsai B. 2020. Golgi-associated BICD adaptors couple ER membrane penetration and disassembly of a viral cargo. JCB. doi:10.1083/jcb.201908099
5. Spriggs CC*, Harwood MC*, Tsai B. 2019. How non-enveloped viruses hijack host machineries to cause infection. Adv Virus Res. 104:97-122. (* co-first author)
4. Ravindran MS*, Spriggs CC*, Verhey K, Tsai B. 2018. Dynein engages and disassembles cytosol-localized SV40 to promote infection. J. Virol. 92:e00353-18. Selected as spotlight article. (* co-first author)
3. Spriggs CC, Blanco LZ, Maniar KP, Laimins LA. 2019. Expression of HPV-Induced DNA Damage Repair Factors Correlates with CIN Progression. Int. J. Gynecol. Pathol. doi:10.1097.
2. Spriggs CC, Laimins LA. 2017. Human Papillomavirus and the DNA Damage Response: Exploiting Host Repair Pathways for Viral Replication. Viruses. 9:v9080232.
1. Spriggs CC, Laimins LA. 2017. FANCD2 binds human papillomavirus genomes and associates with a distinct set of DNA repair proteins to regulate viral replication. mBio. 8:e02340-16.
2. Spriggs CC. 2021. mSphere of Influence: Viruses- Pathogens or Expert Cell Biologists? mSphere. doi: 10.1128/ mSphere.00241-21.
1. Taylor K, Kozik AJ, Spriggs CC, Scott N, Pittman N. 2021. Introducing the Black Microbiologists Association. Lancet Microbe. doi: 10.1016/S2666-5247(21)00038-0.
FUNDING AND AWARDS
MOSAIC K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Career Transition Award- 2021-2026
HHMI Janelia Leading Edge Fellow- 2021
Cell Mentor’s 1,000 Inspiring Black Scientists in America- 2020
Burroughs Wellcome Fund Postdoctoral Enrichment Program- 2020
Cornell Rising Stars Program- 2020
Bradley M. Patten Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research- 2019
F32 National Research Service Award (NRSA)- 2019-present
Boehringer Ingelheim Stiftung Travel Grant (GRC)- 2019
University of Michigan Postdoctoral Travel Award- 2019
Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority (CSURM) Fellowship- 2019
T32 Molecular Mechanisms of Microbial Pathogenesis- 2018
F31 National Research Service Award (NRSA)- 2014-2017
Katten Muchin Rosenman Travel Scholarship Award- 2016
Driskill Graduate Program Travel Award- 2016
T32 Carcinogenesis Training Grant- 2013
T32 Immunology and Molecular Pathogenesis Training Grant- 2013 (Declined)
Duvall Award- Undergraduate Research Fellowship- 2009
LEADERSHIP AND SERVICE
Black In Microbiology, Sponsorship Lead- August 2020- Present
• Led sponsorship effort for the inaugural Black In Microbiology Week (Feat. in New York Times- “Black Microbiologists Push For Visibility Amid a Pandemic”.
• Oversaw financial planning, procurement and disbursement of sponsorship funds.
• Coordinated communication between sponsorship and social media/web design teams regarding sponsor recognition and agreements.
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology Postdoc Representative- Sept 2019- March 2021
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
• Coordinate social, professional, and career development activities for CDB postdoctoral fellows.
• Represent and petition for the needs of CDB postdoctoral fellows at department faculty meetings.
Faculty Corner Moderator- March 2020
Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
• Led an hour-long discussion with Dr. Nicole Koropatkin on “Mentoring Diverse Trainee Needs as a Faculty”.
Black Graduate Student Association (BGSA) Outreach Chair- Sept 2013-June 2014
Northwestern University (Evanston, IL)
• Organized and ran the community outreach committee. Planned community service events.